Tuesday 28 April 2015

Chopped up paintings

Ok.....so returned to yesterday's work and chopped it up ! Felt so much better about it. If I am unsure about cropping any piece, I use the , ' double L's on them.' See in the picture. Mostly though, I chop them up on the guillotine randomly, bringing in that element of chance.

I often almost get hooked on certain sizes / colours etc and this is really where I am with the Dailies. My logic says move out of them now but my artistic drive wants to continue. Maybe just take a break from them with a promise to return to them on a certain date.

The small 14 / 15 cm sq. are also a size I love. And they inform the Dailies.
Above... The double L's. I use these for cropping an image.




Chopped up paintings. They still seem dark , cold and gloomy. Also there are loads of bits of paintings that sometimes I collage. Endless possibilities.





These are the finished ones after a lovely morning. So much enjoyment. I looked at each one of the pieces in terms of colour, tone and composition. Sometimes if you just describe the piece in terms of colour etc then it helps you recognise how to make it better in those terms. You are only ever though looking at your pieces in terms of, ' rightness.' And there is only the artist that can decide that.Love it.

So. Looking at the first one top left, I would say;
COLOUR. Limited palette,  cold colors, 
TONE. There is a balance in the tones. Mid tone with a patch of darker tone and a strip of light tone , read as a sky.
COMPOSITION.An abstracted tree/ bush. Feels 
Ike an abstracted eland scape element ( or is that me ) 

There is a feeling of , ' rightness,' about it.For me.... Will see what I think tomorrow.

ALSO ..... Work on the separation of these. I display them together and therefore see them as multiples, rather than individuals. I do this with most of my work and that needs attention !



These are my birthday week Dailies. Mmmmm I see them again as a multiple. Mmmmm.


Had a trip out to the Art shop, Calder Graphics, Huddersfield.Wonderful. Bought spray paints to try, acrylic pens to try, gold leaf and stocked up on acrylics.Back to the studio. Decided to randomly look at Joan Fullerton's work. Picked a few pieces the appealed.
Above ....Joan Fullerton

Above .... Joan Fullerton

Above ..... Joan Fullerton

What do I think about her work......strong, vertical feel, texture, mixed media, ochres, greys, gold leaf.......

Above ......mine......remember I was supposed not to be doing any 52 cm sq. ( fail ) nor doing any with a figurative element ( fail ) Mmmmm . I like it but will I like it tomorrow ?

I used gold leaf but ended up covering it up . Found it hard to manage because I can't seem to put it down spontaneously , it needed to be placed. Try again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment