Monday 27 April 2015

Monday after visit to Hawthorn gallery

Lovely morning in studio. Kept off the 52 cm boards ( found one and painted over the back of a Daily painting - not a good look ! ) ' Played ,' in paint and enjoyed it. Reworked the small ones from yesterday, worked on others. Just let it happen without trying to control everything. Just do the work and think about display/ exhibition a little further down the line......
Above...17x33cm

Above, 20x20 reworked from yesterday


27x37 cm Reworked and turned around

Reworked from yesterday 30x20 cm


New sketch 20x20 cm

New sketch 38 x22cm

New sketch 20 x29 cm 


Sketch box reworked. 30 cm sq. Cotton stretched over board.


Above New 34x23 cm
They still seem gloomy but I am trying not to judge them until I have done a lot more. Try watercolour tomorrow ( said that yesterday )

Still fighting the urge to have more 52 cm sq boards cut, but managed it today. I need to move away from those boards to change direction or move the painting along. The small ones feel more like sketches but I think that is only because I am comparing them with the big Dailies.Mmmmmm.

What is the difference between a sketch and a painting ?
SKETCH
Often preparatory work , preliminary work, experimental, first ideas, often dry media, smaller ( generally ) than paintings.
PAINTINGS
Often take longer ( not always ) use paint, more deliberate work ( not always )

So , whether or not a work is a sketch is up to an individual artist. As I see it , there is no significant difference between a sketch or a painting for me.


So, I don't like any of the work from today, I don't want to do anymore small landscapes but before I decide fully then try the 12 cm sq pieces that I usually love. Try that later or tomorrow .

1 comment:

  1. Tonie your work is absolutely wonderful, where can I find out about you? I cannot find your profile / about page or where I can see your work
    thank you so much for sharing I will return many time I think - best ashar

    ReplyDelete