Thursday 28 May 2015

Weekly paintings ..so hard ( weekly no 4 )

It's a massively different approach painting the bigger pictures, the weekly paintings. I can't be as spontaneous, there needs to be a little bit of a plan. I can't actually paint the whole of huge board at once almost.And because I work at home, there are restrictions. I can't fling the paint about as much as if I had a studio. ( not that I want a studio again, I like to be comfortable and warm and I like to live with my paintings so I will have to find a solution.

This morning then I tried to work from a small Daily and translate that piece into a bigger painting. These are the stages and as always the painting goes it's own way. A big disadvantage for me is that you have the image in your mind before you put down any paint and that's not how I work with the smaller pieces. But, I know they are different, I will sort it.

Initial inspiration, small 14 cm daily.

First stage, after 5 coats of a dark brown acrylic mixed from red and black. I have enjoyed painting over a dark ground, but it's not so good for me knowing what I am going to paint.

Stage 2 . Painting over the areas I don't like, leaving the ones that I do like.


Stage 3. There are some lovely marks on it. 



Below ......last layer..... Need it taking away so I can't fiddle !
Weekly painting no. 4.

Well questions to answer.....is it too simple ? Does it work at this size 33 inches sq ? Does it need more texture towards the front of the painting ? ....is it finished ?  Will I carry on layering ( fiddling )

So looking at the painting, what words come to mind ......gentle......simple.....pastoral......beautiful.....empty......a little poignant.....the tree is maybe the wrong scale for the size of the painting , but not really bothered about that....

1 comment: