Monday 25 May 2015

Light in paintings

Ok.where do I stand on the subject of light in paintings? Well it isn't a term I use or think about in my own paintings......I paint what I want and the look at the outcome simply in terms of colour, tone and composition......I might then say I need to nudge up the lights  or darken the darks, but it is tones I am referring to rather than light.

Light is a term that maybe viewers use when they are looking at a painting. Researching painters that maybe are classed as painting light brings up, Turner, Monet and the Impressionists, Thomas Kincade ( American, chocolate box painter )

So, I looked at some of my paintings in terms of light and it was a very useful excersise. Will try it with the Art group . As an Artist you are required to be a doer ( as in doing the paintings ) and a viewer ( as in viewing/ critiquing  your work )



As an artist , I was thinking about light whilst painting this piece. Something in the paint suggested a hazy light in my meadow so actually I was trying to achieve that feeling , which I did to my satisfaction on the day. I never normally think about light. It defo made me want to do a series about light in my woods, of course.

As a viewer ( very hard when it's your own painting ) I see patches of light and mainly light, not much dark.


Next one


As a painter, I didn't think about light. The tree images appeared and I worked on the lights and darks to help the form be realised. When I look back at this painting , I remember that joy when I achieved what I wanted to achieve, without knowing what it was ! Mmmmmmm

As a viewer, I see a difused light that surrounds the case or clump of trees. It helps give a feeling of atmosphere.

LIGHT INABSTRACTS




Just the same, I think.....
I was with this one primarily concerned with the texture and the mark making. Light never entered my head.
As a viewer though , I can see a light in the piece, but by seeing the light it is making my eyes look at the work as a puzzle almost that needs workng out. I can see it as a landscape. Mmmmm. 

Try some more.
Try looking at other peoples work in terms of light.
Can you have light without shadow? Mmmmm
Can you use the same rules for the direction of lights in abstracts. Think some more but also think 
about light when I am painting today.....


All interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment