Saturday 22 November 2014

Turner -working up a sketch

We know Turner filled many sketchbooks. I have seen loads of them and don't really remember the paper being special.so, this morning I painted a 2 minute sketch of the woods but edited the background.I am told that Turner tuned out stuff that didn't interest him artistically. And he removed detail - well I can see you would automatically take out the detail if you worked up a small sketch into a big painting.
This was my small 2 minute painting. Roughly about 5 x 6 ins.
This was the first layer , done quickly with watered down paint and the lots of gesso in the sky to give the 3 d texture that Turner achieved. Of course he was using oils and he would have worked on a few paintings at the same time, of course , just the opposite of my half hour Daily paintings. He layered his paint with thick impasto passages and then thin glazes. Lovely. Artists, they say, are usually more interested in either colour or tone. For me, mine is colour. But Turner seems to have a mastery of both.Anyway, this painting has to dry, I can do no more until it does.make some boards.
Still working on the display for the olive wall. Green paintings, ie the first 4, seem very serious on the olive wall. I don't mind that though. And I have deliberately made them a little more representational.not that I ever think that you should paint for anyone else but yourself, but because this is our family lounge, they slightly prefer my more representational images. I do feel constrained by the size of the paintings at the moment so need to perhaps make a big one this weekend or alter the  52 cm sq ones somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment