Thursday 20 November 2014

More Turner

Right, so researched around Turner this morning and am listing the info I found interesting;
He often used a palette knife for his skies
He used thick impasto paint to highlight eg waves and clouds
For his oils he did't use an under drawing but blocked areas out with thin washes, quickly, he glazed over them when dry, using increasingly thin glazes as he grew older
Sometimes used a brown ground, sometimes a white one
He was frugal, he bought cheap paintings to paint over and he patched some canvases
His work included- 550 oil paintings, 2000 watercolours, 30,000 works on paper .i have got some way to go then.
This was my this mornings effort. Apologies to Turner again. I did try, I swirled a first layer of darkish paint over a white ground, then imposed a calm sky over it.I think Turner must have known what he was going to paint before he started, unlike myself, he perhaps worked up his watercolour sketches - try that tomorrow.he clearly got lost in the paint when he painted and for me, that is easy to do, especially if I am painting intuitively . I love it.At the end my painting looked quite lightweight, but for me, if  I am looking at Turner ,there may be a spiritual content to the work and these are reminding me of the Easter Daily paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment