Tuesday 25 November 2014

Turner- working on 3 together

Really needed some discipline to do this , this morning.I am doing this in the name of research .It is exactly the opposite of how I work.Anyway first layer;

Mix of brown and black, block in the tree shapes
Add ochre to the sky and water area
Add a bit of green over areas of the brown
Add pink/ red but wiped that off with a cloth, the colour was too heavy
Stumble white over part of the sky

CONCLUSIONS
Glazing - because you put down thin layers of thinned paint, this traps the light so the painting seems more luminous.works best in oils though.
Because I didn't want 3 paintings that were the same, I was varying each, pushing it as well to try new stuff.That definitely feels like Turner.
You loosen up and keep that element of play - there's no pressure on each brushstroke, it almost feels part of a whole.

Nothing to do now until it all dries.

SECOND  SESSION
I glazed over parts of the sky with turquoise
I glazed over the cool brown/ black with warm burnt umber
I added a bit of light olive green around the tree and in the water

I didn't like it so added in lots more white, put on with card

Have to let it dry again
CONCLUSIONS
I quite liked the process now
I can see how your painting might benefit from working on a few together
I just need to adjust my mind set so I don't feel like I am waiting and watching paint dry.

Used loads of brushes !
The three major stages
The finished ( or is it ? ) Last layer - I glazed most of the painting with ochre, glazed tree area and underneath with light olive green.
CONCLUSIONS
Yep, enjoyed my day. Got over the frustrations of having to wait until each layer of paint dried.
Turner achieves a very complex surface through layering thick and thin paint, opaque and transparent   Paint layers. Lovely. apologies to Turner of my effort. Will see what the Art Group do with this tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment