Saturday 29 November 2014

Maurice Sapiro study of poured paintings

Ok, looking at Maurice Sapiro's work.
In brief, he produces lots of oils, woodland sketches, poured paintings and it's those I am looking at.
I feel ;
He loves the paint
He loves the contrasts ( he is a tonalist )
He loves warm ochres, warm browns, romantic landscape colours




This is his pouring easel.He works in oils and pours and mixes different viscosities of paint.the results therefore are unpredictable, some beautiful . For me though, when I have tried this before, it goes towards marbling and then I think , 'where is the skill in that,'

I don't know if it will work using acrylics, you can buy pouring medium but as yet it's not doing it for me, so I won't invest anymore money.



 Right, so I mixed lots of paints to different consistances. I mixed some with water, some with glaze medium.i put pva and varnish in others and the white I used was water based satin household paint. The acrylic inks I tried didn't work at all - they were way too thin. Here was the first layer - I was trying to look at a sunset and had decided to use a smaller board. You can have too much of a good thing and I see Maurice Sapiro's are around the 12 inch square mark.













Second layer - loads of  time, loads of paint. Certain areas were interesting though but overall hated it.hated the lack of control.hated the mess and the waste of paint . ughhhh








Third layer - like it better at the second stage - he ho. Looked again at Maurice Sapiro's - he uses bigger areas of poured paint. Try again ( do I have too )


Next poured painting



Well, it felt better.I could control the paint a little better BUT there is a massive tendency to fiddle and try and correct or control .It doesn't work - it makes the paintings worse.Try again.


So , with this one I used landscape colours. I liked the sky being painted in the satin household paint but as it's drying  it's changing.






This was 12 inches by 12 inches a similar size to what Maurice Sapiro uses. I didn't mind this one either.I liked the foliage feel areas that arise from when the paints mix up. So, for me, at the end of these poured paintings , it's not for me. Why ? because, in truth these paintings could be done by anybody , not just me. So, I will see what they dry like before deciding where to go in paint.

.............
Well, what do you know ? As these are drying I am LOVING them. I can see that they could be displayed on the 52 cm squared boards , to mirror the feel of a mounted work ( I always play around with mounts ) 

It might look good on a dark background too. The  messy shadow frame around it is actually the 
reverse side of my poured painting easel ( easel - she says )
................
The poured paint makes the boards warp as they dry. So, I have spent my studio time making framed boards that I hope can withstand the pouring process. I want to make a series of 8 poured paintings on the 52 cm square boards. But still want to paint a large piece but will have to just make space in the studio. Getting too cluttered with all the boards and the paintings and the Upcycling stuff.


I make a simple frame on the back of the board and use bulldog clips instead of clamps. Patience is required. Have a word with myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment