Friday 5 August 2016

Chopin Nocturnes in paint

Loved it....What I wanted to do was to kind of translate Chopin's Nocturnes into paint. Fail ! But enjoyed it. I love Whistler's Nocturnes but I wanted something contemporary, abstract, a description of a landscape. Fail...but enjoyed it.....will have to try again.

I hadn't wanted to move on from the Nocturn number 1 but when I did , I loved number 2 ....lesson learned..

Chopin composed 21 Nocturnes. They are around 5 minutes long and are beautiful. My idea was that I would paint the pieces( studies for a better word ) in the time the Nocturne played. Fail...but enjoyed it....

Nocturne Number 2
Words during the painting....
Pressure...fail....watercolour ugh...try acrylic...give watercolour a chance...ugh..it's woodland...try an image..got lost in the greys ..too fiddly...throw everything at it...it's going too dark...got lost in the paint.....





Chopin nocturne no 2, opus 9, study 4.

It's a little fiddly..I did throw everything at it....feels a little like Lesser Urey/ Charles Conder



Chopin nocturn no 2, opus 9. Study number 4.
Words for this one....love the smell of the white gouache, try working from an image.....feels like a Romantic interlude...it's a place for dreaming...getting closer....





Chopin nocturne number 2, opus 9, study number 4.
I tried without the words. I played the Nocturne twice ( I hadn't managed to paint the Nocturn in the playing time ) love this Nocturne now. I am still in the memories....



I mounted the first one of the Second Nocturne. The mount colour I chose was grungy....I will try on a white mount or try different frames....




I wrote all over the dark inky. It's of by his one with white gel pen. Has potential....





Because the paintings in the Art lounge now feel very serious, I was trying to lighten the overall feel so painted a little are aof one alcove with a lime green. Love it.




These are 8 of the Nocturnes.Unsure yet....will work on acceptance of them....they seem....serious...somber....dark.....perhaps if I put Fairy lights all round them , that might lift it....


Put tags on the My North paintings with the titles on ( the memories are the titles ) Think I preferred them without the tags but this way I have the option of displaying the title...


All the ones below are to the Chopin Nocturne no 2. 











 In the end I just played the Nocturne constantly and painted....lovely afternoon. Will critique them later....the sumi ink overpowered the watercolour so lots of the thoughts I had were ugh...ugh. Will try some smaller ones with the cpacrylics and sumi.....Mmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment