Saturday 30 July 2016

Pre Nocturnes

This week I have done all the research ( love it ) for a project on, ' Nocturnes.' Love the start of a project, love the adrenalin rush, love the fact that as an artist I can dip into a subject just as deep as I like, usually just as deep to help the muse which, in turn, inspires me to paint what I like to my creative satisfaction ( not sure I explained that very well.)

So in these initial stages, I will tease out ideas, in words and paint.....try a few different mediums....a few different ideas.....look at other artist's paintings that I would consider, ' Nocturnes.' I use pinterest to collect the images I have found , so there's quite a lot of preparation, but I love that too.

The start of this project was very definitely images of the artist Robert Wellings. Love them. Although I couldn't see they were called, ' nocturnes,' that's the word that came to mind. Love Whistler's nocturnes. Anyway what do I think of when I think of the word nocturne......evening.....dusk.....moon....moody......often poignant......often misty.......trees....landscape......

My favourite Artist's for nocturnes...
Whistler
John Felsing
Alan Rankle
S P Goodman
Lisa Breslow
Robert Wellings
Carlos San Milan
Laurie Steen
George Clausen
Christopher Volpe


I also massively thought I could paint to Chopin's nocturnes. So, I have been listening to his first Nocturn intending to paint it today. That will be this evening though because I have also revisited a few Daily paintings today. Love the paint ! Have ordered some easy Chopin nocturne arrangements because I haven't played the piano for a long, long time and my fingers kind of tuned into Cumberland sausages when they touched the paino keys !




Mmmm.Not critiquing these until I have done 10. Try rectangles on paper/ watercolours. This one was 12 inch sq. Acrylic on cotton covered board.

The ones below I have done mainly with watercolour and sumi ink. I am trying to be kind to them and not critique them yet.....they are around the a4 size...














I am just now into the second Nocturne...didn't really want to leave the first....love it !



These were the first 9. I have settled out to the a4 size which is ok. Thoughts this morning that I would do 10 inspired by each Nocturne.Try it. Then I could perhaps do one finished piece on a 12 inch board. We will see. I like the small , watercolour and ink ones but hate the framing...anything to do with glass really, I don't like doing the framing or transporting the framed pieces with glass in. Ugh. 

So critiquing the first 9..... They are too dark together....they are too intense together....they are moody...don't feel poignant ( well a couple do maybe) they feel about shape. I like the fact that they are abstracted....some feel dramatic....keep going .....

Try...... After the Chopin Nocturnes try doing some to , for eg, Em and Em... They should feel edgier.....the Chopin Nocturnes feed my already present Romantiscism.....


.......

I am a Daily painter and have been since April 2014. I started the Daily paintings to;
Help my landscape painting progress ( tick )
Help me produce a new body of work ( tick )
Help me increase my online prescence ( tick )
Help me increase my income from my art ( still working on this one )

When I had the idea to do Daily paintings, I massively thought it was a good idea but when I did my research, I realised there was loads of Daily painters across the world ! He ho. Anyway, now, it's completely second nature to create a Daily painting and although some days there is an element of churning out a painting simply because I am a Daily painter, in the main I have massively benefitted from this discipline in terms of painting. It has helpled me be more confident in paint and it helps me be freer and bolder in paint. I love it and I love the fact that at any given time, I have a massive resource to draw on. I regularly paint over old Dailies and I often create new work incorporating the apparently unrelated underpainting. He ho . These were reworked Dailies that I have done today, looking at a kind of Davy's grey colour.

52 cm sq. Acrylic.

52 cm sq. Acrylic.

52 cm sq. Acrylic.

Even though I wouldn't call these nocturnes, I can see that the research I have done for the nocturnes has a presence . Interesting !

No comments:

Post a Comment