Monday 15 August 2016

Back to the North

My North paintings have been going South just lately....because I love loads of them and have sold a few, I feel under pressure to live up to the ones that I have already made. Phew...the artist's struggle ! Have a word with yourself. What happens if you make a crap painting ? Nothing ! You can paint over it ! Get over myself !

So last nights and this morning I am back on my North. Painting and looking at different ways to frame them. Review the whole project.....what am I intending to do with them.....what do I want from them.....I have liked selling them just on paper, unframed, so much easier... They are only small ( 15 cm sq. ) and I can post them recorded delivery. I hadn't wanted to sell them at first, it was breaking up the series as a whole but I only started it to make some small, saleable pieces. Well, not really. I started it because of my Granddaughter. It made me realise that my kids didn't know anything about my childhood.Not because of any concious decision not to tell them, it just never came up.

So...I wanted to work towards a , ' My North,' installation of small work. That, I am still doing.
This morning's challenge was to turn this display of small nocturnes into a display of My Norths. I have painted these backboards in Johnstone's Dove grey so it's a cool grey. I like it. The backboards are the backs of Daily paintings, so waste not, want not.I like the presentation of these nocturnes but can see that the detail in the works is lost because you can't get close enough to see them becaus of the daybed. Therefore maybe try to dramatise the shapes and the tones, ' shapes of the North.' Try it
( well the last two were me trying it )




This was one of last nights....Nora Battye tights with mends in ....we played in the roads, there weren't any cars....the roads were wider then...I don't remember bright colours....we played hopscotch but not with major enthusiasm


All we wanted was to be older ! We so looked up to the older kids


There were loads of terraces but lots of rubble covered wasteland. Was that from the war ?

This was the one I thought most fitted the brief but need to do 10 before critiquing.

Will paint over this one !!,
Back to the paint....

No comments:

Post a Comment