Sunday 10 July 2016

Being a Resident artist at Emmaus Mossley

Emmaus Mossley is a Community for previously homeless people. The Companions, as they are called, live and work at Emmaus , earning a living by recycling donated furniture and bric a brac.Emmaus is an International organisation. It's wonderful and I love it.

I asked Emmaus Mossley in 2001 could I have a studio there ( I was at Uni then, needed a studio, and this is a big old mill practically on my doorstep ! ) they said yes, providing is started a weekly Art group to help the Companions integrate with the local Community. I am still there, running the Art Group . I have a space in the showroom to display Art, my Art and the Art group and I have organised a couple of Pop up galleries there.

Emmaus also now employ me to run a weekly Upcycling group. I started that 3 years ago and love it. We have a group of around 20 volunteers who come each week to up cycle furniture and bric a brac. We paint, decoupage and craft items to sell in the showroom. I love it, well we all love it. The volunteers work hard,have a laugh, keep me on my toes and bring in an income for Emmaus Mossley.

I feel humbled to be involve with Emmaus Mossley. I listen to the Companions stories and have learned over the years, that it's often a very little incident that starts a chain of events where they end up without often a relationship or home. I feel very privaliged to be involved in a Community where everyone supports each other, Companions, staff and volunteers, well everyone really.


My most favourite display of my Poem lines.


Emma us Art group does contemporary landscapes.



Pop up galleries in the , ' glass room.'





Upcycling display. We can't upcycle it quick enough.

Bags from rags display...

Love it all !

No comments:

Post a Comment