Saturday 9 July 2016

Northern textures

This week I have been looking at textures made with paper, tissue, toilet paper, old paintings. I often return to texture without ever really resolving what my interest is.....I dabble in textures, go do something else, dabble again etc....Always though each week , the prep I do for the art group informs my own work to a greater or lesser extent. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I was looking at the work of David Tress and Rod Ashman, both of whom manage a strength in their work that is often missing from mixed media or textile pieces. Often, I think, textile artists put too much texture in....you can have too much of a good thing and I think you need an area of calm in order to focus the viewers eye on the texture...I don't want to beat you over the head with texture....

This was the first one...Mmmmm...determined to be kind...
Like the layers
Like the colours
Like the fact that there are areas of calm
Like the bits curling up..

I mounted it on an old frame which really enhanced it...

This was the second.....size 24 inches square ins finished size....I wanted grey.....I again mounted it on an old frame......i liked...
The subtlety
The colour
The bits overhanging the inner frame
The glazes ( May do more )

This was today's piece, size 28 inches sq., painted on an old painting already in a frame....it seems easier to create them on an already existing frame.....to allow collaged pieces to , ' escape,' the frame.I liked.... The textures, the tissue, the colours, the size.

I liked them considering they were 1,2 and 3 of this series.Try 10 and then critique them.....

Missed my small , ' My North, ' images ! Might have to have a little paint this evening......try to paint daily on a large scale every day but then just paint a fe we smaller ones in one sitting.Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment