Saturday 2 April 2016

Daily walks....studies on photographic paper with window paints

Love the walks , love the paint. Still trying to paint something more literal and figurative. A recognisable landscape ! Fail !

These are this weeks sketches/ studies/ little pieces. On some of them I used glass and window paints ....craft stuff really. These craft materials are donated at Emmaus Mossley where I am the resident artist . So, we try stuff in the Art group and the Upcycling group I run. Love it. The window paints were wonderful for glazing but very sticky on the brushes ! I used photgraphic paper for the support ...tried both sides and that was really fascinating. The effects were like no other. Need to continue to try on the photographic paper.

Sketches
Photo of the two trees. ( out of my kitchen window ) used as a base for a realistic  painting that is the last piece ...Fail !


Sketch ( or study ... What's in a word ? 11 inch square. ) on the glossy photographic paper. You can put the paint down and yet then take it off quite easily which suits my working practice.



Same again below.


11 inches square.
Sketches from this weeks walks... Done from photos in the studio. I am not a plein air painter , I have an impatient dog !


11 inches square.
Cropped the he one below. Took me ages and was the one that I least liked. Can't do the woods justice.



Used the window paints on most of them ...... Or alternatively acrylic with Golden glazing liquid.


Mmmmm 11 inches by 5 inches.

11 x 5 inches. 
More and more . Some worked from photos, others painted intuitively.


11x 5 inches
The last two looked a little like a traditional oil painting.Interesting.


A4 size




I cropped the one above to take away the bits I didn't like. I often use the ipad to do this. Take a photo and work out the cropping on the ipad...then cut the painting.


11x 6 inches.

Well below was the one I was supposed to be working up to. 33 inches square , acrylic on board ( didn't use the window paints in this one... Not sure of their longevity.) Did it in an hour. ..... Kind of a big sketch which seems to be important to me with this project. Perhaps because I usually walk for about an hour. I actually don't mind it...today....ok it doesn't look anything like the two trees it was supposed to be....it went it's own way.





I like... The drips, the limited palette, the strength of it...the words ( I wrote them in conte and then carefully painted over them in mat varnish...easy to smudge them......try...a large one just in sepia.
Try again.......

8x8 inches. Techniques....I wrote in biro all over it...put acrylic over the window colour and it majorly cracked. .......layer up the colours.....used my fingers.....

16 x 6 inches.....loved it......well loved it today......


No comments:

Post a Comment