Saturday 26 March 2016

Daily walks

Well I had two 33 inch boards prepared and lots of photos from the walks this week. Trying to continue from the Poemline series. What was I trying to do ?

Well paint more literally, less abstract.
Work from an image of an actual place
Bring the techniques from the Daily painting into the bigger pictures.
Try to express my feelings for the landscape within an hour.....why ? Because, as always,I prefer an immediate response to the landscape. An intuitive work, less about consideration, more about response in paint. Mmmm. Not much to ask.....she says

What did I like ?
The process. Love it. Love layering the colours, reacting to the paint etc.love watching it go it's own way.

What did I think of the image ?
It was ok. Maybe a little cool. May try to glaze some warmth in it when it's all dry.

What didn't I like ? / What was hard ?
Working from an image. I only worked from the image initially, then moved away from it. I still know where it is but I like the fact that it could be a few places, anywhere.
I was very conscious about the paint going everywhere .... Need to cover up stuff and the carpet ( I work, by choice, from home, even though there is a massive mill nearby, Woodend Mill, Mossley, full of artists. It's cold though. I had a studio for a good few years there .)
The time it takes to prepare the boards but am fussy so I need to do them myself ( I don't work on canvas because my painting process is too wet/ vigorous. )
It was hard to bring in the techniques from the Dailies.... Just simply because of the size. I am sure I
will get used to it though.


This was the photo ...the finished piece went it's own way ......






The image looks different on the ipad than in the Artroom. I had to take the painting outside to photograph it... The light was going !

What next ?
Try another tomorrow. I need to be focused , to prepare for doing the painting within an hour....it's just the same as the Dailies when, at the beginning, I was trying to get them down in the half hour.



So, today's challenge was to create another Daily walk painting within the hour....trying to get one that was lighter than yesterday's, that seemed a little somber . I managed to paint it within the hour and make it a little lighter but I didn't like it at the end.....look again tomorrow. If I think of it as a 
sketch then I can live with it.....because I was trying to also do a painting that was a little more literal then that put extra pressure on me. Remember  , I couldn't do the Daily paintings within the half hour at first......Try again .......

The photo .....


The painting .....again went it's own way. Maybe it might be a good idea to do some small studies of the subjects.  Ughhh.....rather do my own thing......







Below is today's ( Easter Monday ) Daily Walk. Seems a little yellow now but wait until tomorrow. Maybe it will just go in the , ' to be painted over pile.'
Mmmmm....try again.....





No comments:

Post a Comment