Saturday 31 January 2015

Rethink re the Dailies

So, had a deliberate couple of days away from the paintings. One of the things with the Daily paintings is that I haven't had time built into the process to think about the project or the direction. Interesting.

So today I think I should just think through and try out different arrangements / suggestions etc.

If I was doing a big exhibition in a big gallery space, it think that if all of the walls were covered with the square 52 cm paintings it would be repetitive,monotonous. I need to have different sizes, shapes, frames or mounts. So, taking into account what the art group feedback was,maybe have a think around display.

This first photo was of the groups work, and mine,with a variety of sizes, frames etc. the one below is a photo in the Pop up gallery .... Of my smaller, more varied landscape work. I am absolutely clear that I don't want to do smaller than 52 cm square work. Of course I don't mean sketches or 12 cm sq pieces, I like doing those. I just don't want to be framing etc. Have a think.






The one below is a thought of alternating or introducing pieces of the same size but with a much smaller image.



This is one layer of paintings with a line of small paintings underneath.Try it.



The one below has boards painted white placed inbetween the Dailies, with or without words on. Try it.



Or put the titles of the paintings on.........




Tried the green but preferred it on the smaller work


This one above is the first of me trying to just put a smaller image in the middle of a 52 cm sq board.Mmmmm



And the second More mmmmm........keep going




These below are the ones that the Art group felt needed to be separated. They were viewing them as a display which wasn't my intention. I see them just as a collection of paintings in similar colours .I wouldn't have neccessarily put them up like this in a gallery space.


That said, when it tried the recent graphite works inbetween the more colourful dailies, I thought they wouldn't work but they so did. Need to try this out on the wall at Emmaus.



Right so did a massive prime and tried out different variations of a theme,the first try was to include a smaller board inbetween the Dalies, painted white. It worked.


The stage further was to try some text or words on those board. That worked too. I liked the light grey of the graphite and the text. I would have to try other fonts though if I did this. This font seems a little childlike. I tried with handwritten text too but didn't like that.

Tried just one layer of paintings and then the small ones underneath. That didn't work so well.

 Tried the very pale drawings just on their own on the black wall and that worked too.
So after a mornings work , it felt good to explore the options. Will try some just on paper instead of doing the drawings on painted boards. That seems worth a try. 

Also thought though that the stuff I had tried this morning ( Sunday ) seemed to reinforce the paintings being part of a whole rather than individuals. Maybe my next step now is to try and frame the paintings in a very individual way to show that they will stand up on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment