Wednesday 28 January 2015

Art group critique

Today we had a shared lunch and the chance for the Art group to look at and critique my Daily paintings.I wasn't sure if I wanted anything from them , I just knew I am finding the Dailies a bit harder than I did. I had an open mind to what they said ( she says )

They were offering suggestions of how to sell the paintings.
Anyway feedback was;
Maybe too many paintings displayed together overshadowing individual paintings.It was hard for them to see just one painting in the display.
Try different sizes.
Try bolder colours, my paintings are generally muted colours.
Try breaking up the display with faces.
Some of the displays don't work as well as others.
There are a lot of paintings.
They liked them displayed in the frames.
Perhaps need different colours of frames.
Try putting my energy into perhaps selling a painting a week

Interesting.
Of course, the art group saw each space as a display of paintings, whereas in my head , there are only a couple of actual,' displays,' the rest are just spaces to hold paintings, sometimes a collection of paintings using similar colours. Interesting.

What to do ? Go in the studio in the morning and paint what I want.
I have decided not to continue with the Dailies after April. Although I have massively enjoyed them, they have taken up a lot of time and energy , which needs to be put into selling as much as painting !
Maybe think of doing weekly paintings - yep sounds good.

1 comment:

  1. Tonie, Your work is delicious. I love your blog so real and so fun to read. These paintings are fabulous. Please stop listening to this group because they do NOT understand the great work you are painting. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete