Sunday 13 August 2017

New work from old work (1 )

So, trying to alter the look of the Art lounge ( back room ) or , ' living with, ' room. It's where the paintings are displayed while  I decide if they are actually paintings or are just boards with paint on destined to be painted over. It takes them a while to actually achieve, ' painting, ' status.

I am trying to alter the look of the room because it's a theme at the moment to try alter some of my own , ' preconceptions. ' a couple of months ago , I read a piece  ( I think it was Chris Bennett ) about preconception being an enemy of an artist. The thrust of the piece was that if any of your art follow preconceived ideas , it may well become repetative or formulaic. Yes, I agreed, but of course didn't think that applied to my art ! Because all my paintings are individuals, created mainly in an intuitive way. Hmm, then I look around and see that because of my efficient hanging system and 52 cm boards , I start off almost in a preconceived way. I almost always paint on this sized board ( because I paint over and over them ) and I generally produce a grid of 8 , 52 cm sq. Paintings. I like a grid display, it satisfies my sense of order ! Need to alter that then......

So, how ?

Well, while at Uni , in my first year, we had a tutor Beverly Little, who used to ask me in response to each given brief, to produce about 6/7 ideas of exhibitions / displays in response to that brief. At first I used to have to do lots of research to produce idea responses but gradually it became easier as I got into a pattern of thinking and built up my knowledge of contemporary art. She would go through the list and rate the ideas. I still do this for myself , hence the sheet below detailing the ideas so far....it is , I remind myself, the first list and by no means exhaustive......



Some of these ideas are rejected as soon as they are written...number 7 , because the 15 cm square pieces are too small to be seen clearly from in front of the day bed...end of... And I would try the easiest first, you never know....so, today, I tried a version of number 5. I put up an extra baton and hung 5 old paintings up, 52 x 35 cm and then layered sketches that I have stored in the plan chest. Sketches , particularly on paper, used to be a much bigger part of my creative process than they are now. From 2014 - 2015, I created a daily sketch ( and a daily painting ) just almost too see if I could. I love working small , on paper, but just don't do it so much now because I hate the framing side of things. I can never get a frame that suits the work and I like them better without .So, I was trying to use the sketches.




This was the finished piece. I used on average 5 sketches per board. I wanted it to be one complete piece to fit the display space but not sure that I have achieved that. I seemed to fare better if I picked out a sketch that I liked to go on the front of have display first, then fill in the rest. It reminded me of stuff on clipboards ( no problem with that ) or tidy clutter.I also liked the fact that the sketches / studies/ drawings / small paintings weren't massively being affected....it all can be undone .... I like it today. I like the 3d ness of it.....Does it look like a finished piece ? No, not yet !

More photos...


Photos were hard to do to reflect the feel of the piece.....

They are on old paintings, layers of about 5 small works.

The calmer , colour co ordinated, more considered ones seemed to be more pleasing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment