Saturday 5 August 2017

Evening series 4

Had a lovely paint this week. Still trying to paint an evening series, without any major success. This weeks paintings have been a mixture of enjoyment and angst...it's how it is. Played around on an old painting for the first one

' Paynes grey intervention, ' acrylic on board, 52 cm sq. Trying to be kind in my critical response to the painting.....what do I like ? ...the simplicity ( that belies the length of time I played with it and the many layers on it ! ) the paynes grey scraping ( done in frustration but left in respect ! ) the abstraction ( always like to subvert a viewer looking for a literal landscape ) ....left now , ' to cook.' 

The second of this weeks pieces, ' patched light, ' acrylic on board, 52 cm sq.Still looking at , ' evening paintings. ' I like ....the subtle tone changes ( definately a reaction to the kind of angry landscape I was painting over )...I like the gentleness...I like the greens, the warm , transparent greens of a very rainy Summer ! It's in the , ' Living with , ' room.



' Evening series, ' acrylic on board, 52 cm sq....I had the Art group to visit and critique my displays last week and one of the comments on this wall was that perhaps more contrast between the paintings is needed. It is interesting that as soon as I have stopped trying to paint the wind, my paintings have gone , ' still, ' again. Mmm. anyway, how to mix it up a little more ? As an Artist, shouldn't we fight any preconceptions ? ..well yes, I think we should, but because I have lots of these boards all the same size and an efficient hanging system, I immediately, automatically,  put up a grid display. I like a grid, but maybe it is an easy option. Have a think.

This is a display of the , ' My North, ' series that I am still tussling with the framing of. I like the works free of mounts or frames but quite a lot of them need to be framed / behind glass. Got to sort this, the works are getting damaged from handling too much ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment