Saturday 19 August 2017

New work from old work (2)

This first one was an old one, only slightly altered. I still like it but have taken it out from the frame.
I like...the subtle colours...the calmness....the abstract qualities....

This was the first one this week. I did it without thought. I liked...the textures...the 3 d ness...the fact that I used old paintings in it...with or without a frame....try different sizes of this work too....

This was number 2 this week....I wanted what I had in number 1 but deeper, maybe more layers, more old paintings, more depth, maybe more line also....add more of everything really, paint, paper, texture, glue. Keep adding and taking off....slow down, build up the layers....

Maybe I don't treat these pieces with enough seriousness . Because they are old paintings and as much sticking as painting, I do view them differently. Interesting .....

This was number 3 this week, not sure it's there yet, but these definately have to dry sometimes inbetween layers. What I did a lot of this morning was taking off the pieces of card/ paper that I had stuck down earlier. Liked the effect of the reveal underneath... I almost wanted you ( or the viewer ) to see the strength in my landscape , the rock and land formations under the landscape surface.

These pieces have two distinct strands, one uses old paintings ( small piece ) as they are in the sketch mash up from last week.....one strand deconstructs old paintings that have fallen out of favour. Interesting. I love this process of re evaluating old work and breathing new life into it...Mmm...keep going, make some smaller pieces, frame some, to finish, look at the display of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment