Saturday 8 October 2016

Trying to paint the wind 4 and revisiting My North project

First off...the wind. Very windy this week..loved it....painted this one needs to left , ' to cook.' Not sure ..I only wanted to paint the wind not a recognisable landscape.Mmmm, fail then.

Left to dry...May return.....title for the moment....sing song winds....or listen to the paint....

To try and get a flavour of the other landscapes, I surrounded the painting with the others. It worked, I thought, but I had to be prepared to loose the other paintings in splashes of paint....


MY NORTH review
I had abandoned the North project because I had got overwhelmed by it....loads of paintings which I loved...loads of displays which I loved but which didn't fit altogether....

Just by chance I read a blog by Tara Leaver, another Artist, about maintaining your interest when the newness had worn off....one of the major things that I got from it was to visit the project each day even if the muse had gone and just review or consider some aspect of it....having done that I got together lots of the My North paintings and displayed them in grids....liked them....

Black mills displayed in the Art lounge...like them in a grid

64 My North paintings displayed in a grid on the studio doors...like it....throws up a question of , ' grids, ' does showing work in a grid devalue each individual piece ? I am firmly on the fence on this one ! I can see both sides but my thoughts are that I would like to include a big grid in my installation , but wouldn't frame it as one piece ( even though I have really liked Jenny Graham's , ' composite, ' paintings ) if I leave them without a frame then they can be viewed either way. I need to write the titles ( memories ) in ....And I like them on the doors ! Maybe display them on doors....

Just put these up on a studio cupboard door ...like them on the doors.....reminds me of the cupboards that were at the sides of the fireplaces in our old terraced homes. Cupboards of treasure that you had to climb up to see what was on the shelves...very dangerous ha ha

In this one, I am gradually replacing the photos with paintings that look like photos. I have painted on top of the photos, which I loved. I love it still. I love the way the photos/ paintings are displayed on a landscape painting...it brings together Mills and Hills which were the two most interesting aspects of My North ( to me )

This was the My North cupboard. Love it . For an installation, am I going to include personal pieces ? Not for sale.mmmm



This was definitely influenced by Jenny Graham's composite pictures....but I almost want to edge my bets and offer them individually too....

These were the black mills in a crisp presentation.

Liked them in these frames too

Don't like them on the big boards ...the mounts are too big

Don't like them in the clear frames either



Love this frame with the work in...




So ...lots to consider but at least I have unabandoned ( if there is such a word ) the My North project.....I am aware that I am using the blog as an online record of my work and my projects. I like that and has time has gone on that has become the primary function.....

No comments:

Post a Comment