Saturday 10 September 2016

My North on canvas

Massively benefitted from just stepping back and not painting. It was hard not to paint.But neccessary sometimes. I had got lost in the , ' my North , ' project. I originally started doing these images to kind. Of tell my children about my childhood. As I got into it, it got bigger and bigger so I then thought I would do an installation. I have explored different avenues under the big title of My North so I was in a situation where I couldn't reconcile all the aspects of the displays and the individual pieces. My thoughts this week are that I would concentrate on doing the books for my children and then see what was left. I had planned to include selected pieces of art and also the actual photographs. 

I returned to the photos of Mum and Grandma, these were this weeks, for the books.

I tried on small canvases , omg, it was so hard and so different. Took absolutely ages to get an image that came anywhere near what I wanted. Was trying to get colour into the work ( fail ) was also trying to get tone/ figures/ North/ abstracted elements....not too much to ask !

Picked colours dear to me turquoise, umber, gold.mmmm



Tried putting writing across the piece... Didn't work at all.




No 1. Played with paint/ ink/pen/ sumi.enjoyed it but it was frustrating. The paint just doesn't move on the canvas. I don't like the texture at all. It doesn't dry quick enough.



Lots of layers later. There's a need to simplify what's left on the canvas. Tendency to clutter.


Kept playing with the figure and changing the background colours. He ho. Like it now though....figure could be any age and in any time ( well to me anyway ! )




This was the weakest one and the one that co used me the most trouble. Need to leave it now to get time's perspective on it. Love it or hate it ? Ask me tomorrow !



Liked the four together....and they have taken so long....but...easier to handle and move just on the canvas, rather than frames and the dreaded glass....keeps trying on canvas.....I will get better....

I have started on the epics... The books that I am doing for each of my children, containing a mixture of old photographs and my paintings. The books I got from the Emmaus shop, donated old unused photograph albums. They are massive, one red, one brown, 42 doublespeak sided pages with the clear plastic corners to put the photographs into. They can be put down to hold art or photos of any size,
 they are just abit fiddly. Love it...but it is going to be masses of work !









Pages containing photos and paintings.



Love them today !




No comments:

Post a Comment