Saturday 7 October 2017

30 days of urban marks (2)

Got lost in how many days I have been doing urban marks for. Loved it. Artists that seem relevant to day are ....Uta Barth ...Brett Amery...Mashiul Chowdhury...Marc Yankus.....

First one this week
Words that go with it...had white canvas syndrome, got panicky with the white, blank paper in front of me...( try over old work to counteract that )....it's the tones that do the work, even though I like the sepia...like the drips....like the scratches, hints of foliage, urban foliage....like the laers and the streaks....like the abstraction...am in areas I don't understand....carry on then....names...urban landscapes....urban ink studies ( too cumbersome )




Wet the pare, put in a mark of ink ( in this case, sepia ) ...play around thinking of urban.mmmm...like that it's only sepia with a tiny bit of black ink, like the pencil marks....like the different , diagonal marks of the pencil ( too many of mine are horizontal and vertical marks....have found a way to cover over marks that I don't like by covering them with white acrylic, seems to work.





Seem to be caught up with using sepia ink first. Interesting. I have enjoyed the warmth, rather than just the black. Try a paler one....in aw at it's easier to get a feeling of urban or industrial with black ink. I think of William Wray who amazingly gets the urban feeling with bright colours , a pink or turquoise. I have used this little ink applicator that I don't even know what it's name is, I bought them by mistake once so haven't really used them. I enjoyed the lines it gave me, more fluid than a pen but more controllable than a brush. Interesting. Will see whether I like this tomorrow, I have to majorly live with these.


I liked this one but just thought I would tweak it. Mmm...it turned into another image, below


Some of the marks seem like canal locks. Keep going without too much criticism....time enough to critique them when I have done 30. That will mean all October really.

Marks on mountcard....acrylics....inks....I like the marks that look like chimneys

Again chimneys.....liked the warmth from the burnt umber...again on mountcard

This one on paper, around the 12 inch sq. Size. It's a favourite today but that so changes....the paint / ink goes on the paper so differently than the mountcard. Keep trying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment