Saturday 23 September 2017

Collages 7,8,9,10,11, Urban marks ( 2)

So, I have two strands of work at the moment....the collages and the urban marks.

The collages.
Slow, slow, slow....lots of thought, placing, reviewing, researching....recurring. What do I want from these ? Not sure yet, it's enough that it's a trip down memory lane for me, using my paintings on paper to make new work. I am still thinking of landscapes, but aware that when I twist or turn them round, they look mor abstract....just go with it...I like not knowing where they are going.

I had another go at this one....there were elements that have niggled me this week. I like to live with them for a few days before they almost come into their own or become seperate from me....if that makes sense....will live with it again now...





This one from last week re painted and some of the crunchy edges removed....I think I got a bit giddy with the crunchy edges last week, need to calm it down. Interesting ( to me anyway ) that I am keeping to a very limited pallette....that seems to be pleasing this week. 



Can you gave too much thought in a painting...?For me...yes you can...better sometimes to , ' think in paint. ' 



Added cotton canvas into these . I used to mount works in paper on cotton so I could display them like a canvas. It worked but not for long term display. It's nice to work with, will see what they are like when they dry, sometimes they die.



Urban Marks
This work is much more instinctive, intuitive work...what do I want ? A flavour of my a Urban world...love the monochrome. So, I started with a monoprint using a geli plate ( I had some really good results this week from bacofoil over mountcard ) and then rewet the block printing ink , adding sumi ink , varnish and white acrylic paint. I had been looking at the work of a John Virtue and for his big paintings he had used Indian ink, shellac and white acrylic paint, so worth a try. This one was 18 cm sq.




This was 21 x 22 cm sq. I wanted to explore the urban marks rather than produce urban landscapes.

Print off the geli plate, reworked. Don't know that this one has anything going for it but not deciding that for the moment.

Reworked 2 of the collages. Have gone pale, pale, pale. I like them though....today...

52 cm sq.


52 cm sq. Created as a landscape but much preferred it turned on it's side.


52 cm sq. This one felt more like a landscape.


52 cm sq. Went through a few incarnations.


Four together in the studio. Still unsure whether to title them as collage no 1,2,3 etc or give them titles. Loved the colours .

No comments:

Post a Comment