Sunday 4 June 2017

How can I paint the wind ?

So, finished the display of , ' trying to paint the wind, ' eight x 52 cm sq . Enjoyed the excersise and don't mind some of the paintings. Feel sure I will come back to the , ' wind paintings, ' but for the moment the muse has dried up ! Critique the ones I have done now and think about what next ( should I do a big wind one ) or actually like the idea that I can do kind of Aspects of the landscape....try it !

No 1. ( I have displayed them in the order that they were created ) ' trying to catch the wind, ' critique....seems kind of like mist , not neccessarily wind.



' Trying to ride the wind, ' Used applicators to kind of ice the paint on...hard to leave the marks on , I seem to want to blend. The lines help the feeling of movement in the piece.





' Textures in the wind, ' like the paint lines and like the scratch marks.





' Gusts, ' lots of sweeping marks of the brushes indicate movement. 





' in a way this was a still wind, '....again the brush strokes indicate the wind / breeze. There's less of a focus in this one because of the lack of the strong lines. That seems to indicate distance or space.




' Still feel the wind, '...I definately could feel movement / wind in this one. I think it is just because of the lines ....there seems to be nothing else in the painting that indicated wind. It feels though a little like an illustration in a children's book.


' The wind , a friend today, ' with keep reworking this one . It became out of focus so became a feeling of wind. It is pared down but is that a good thing or a bad ? ...leave to settle for a few days.




' Where is the wind , ' I was trying to paint the fact that only the outside leaves on the  large, mature trees. I am sure that wasn't conveyed in the painting.....so maybe need to try again !


Working title for the group, ' How can I paint the wind, ' ( just making a sign for them ) critiquing the group......they do seem about the wind, or at least , movement.....I like the strength of them....the tones ( some could be what I would class as tonalist paintings ) the warm sienna colour I used in quite a few of them.....always like a grid of this sized paintings.....Mmm....enjoyed creating the display but want to address the, ' landstills, ' next.

No comments:

Post a Comment