Saturday 27 May 2017

Trying to paint the wind again (3)

This week I have been working on trying to work on the 52 cm sq boards , increasing the size of the , ' Trying to paint the wind , ' paintings. It has required effort to let the marks I make stay showing on the paintings surface....my natural tendency is to blend, blend and blend some more.

My research has also been quite hard....hard to find paintings that I felt captured the wind ...but these are the ones closest to it....

Louise Balaam
SP Goodman
Russell Frampton
Hannah Woodman
Janine Baldwin
Nicholas Herbert
Patricia Sadler
Lewis Noble

These were the paintings, worked back into quite a few times.....
It is so interesting to see how the paintings translate onto the internet. Some look so much better on the internet, some the opposite. This one I really liked ....but maybe it feels more like a warm mist than a wind.

I was trying to make lines...I made them with acrylic paint in an applicator, a little like icing a cake. What else could I use? Paint on a brush, chalk pastel, oil pastel, water soluable crayon ( I have some somewhere, Nicholas Herbert uses them but they didn't work for me )

The long diagonal black line came out of the applicator on it's own but I left it . Interesting. My lines are a little tentative...I don't know what they represent yet....but they add to the feeling of movement or wind.

The walk today was windy but our trees here are old and established....they didn't move, only the absolute outside leaves kind of shivered and rustled. I couldn't see the wind today ! I could only feel it....and it still feels a warm wind !


No comments:

Post a Comment