Saturday 4 June 2016

My North figures

This week, I am still working ( not the right word really ) on, ' my North,' series. Still small...I have no artistic interest in creating larger work under this heading so just carry on. I have been looking back at old photos, remembering my childhood in, ' my North.' Really most important were the family, friends, people that lived on the streets. I was very lucky.

These were the pieces.... 15 cm. sq.I thought that I would try for one memory per piece, used as a title to help the reading of the work. May change my mind on that one. The work is mainly on photographic paper, sumi ink and acrylic, painted then with clear varnish so I could glaze over. It defo worked , working on 9 at once, keep going back into them round and round.
Kid's played on the streets from dawn till dusk.


I don't remember much colour but lots of warmth.


One, ' mother,' was, 'all mothers.' They spoke with the same voice.


The best fun was popping tar bubbles.


The backs were our playgrounds.


A new donkey stone was to be celebrated.


The shadows of the mills were deep.


A solitary child


The backs were for cricket and for digging. The boys ruled the show.


Working on 9 together worked.



This was the display of Daily paintings I put up at Emmaus Mossley. Because my work is instinctive and intuitive, I often just put it away when I've done it.....to be retrieved days/ weeks / or more later....to see if they stand the test of time....Some do, some don't . 

1 comment: