Sunday 12 June 2016

More of My North

Phewww... It was hard to get the images this week. Keeping in the ,' My North,' series....interest waning slightly. I had wanted to use pencil but then got frustrated with it so added varnish and watercolour. I wanted....figures...little abstract...flavour of the North.......These were the words that came into my mind as I painted.....

Can't find my photos
We did play ring a ring a roses
The girls liked to play Mummies and Daddies
Hopscotch, skipping, 2 balls
Mum wore a headscarf but didn't leave her rollers in like other Mums
She always had a perm, she had the same hairstyle all her life
Mum wore twin sets and pearls
All the photos were posed
We went to the shops every day, the butchers, the grocers, the green grocers
I don't remember any buggies
The transparency of the medium makes me feel like it's the layers of years
I like to find the figure, not impose it
Get the images down and then go back and back looking for a sense  of rightness
Remember it's figures not mills I am looking for
Don't really want sillouettes
An overlay of grey
After a while the image becomes about an arrangement of tones, colour, line, balance
Add in pencil on top of the paint....

We went to the shops every day.


We played Mummies and Daddies

Long Summers of play

Layers of time and sentiment

Dressed up

The flats came

We sat on the kerbstone for a lot of the day

We watched the babies ( dolls ) like our Mums

I like to find a figure

Figures and Mills merge.

The nine of this week.

These paintings aren't meant to be a Social history commentary, they are just drawings and paintings about, ' my North.' Give them time to breath before critiquing them........

1 comment: