Sunday 31 December 2017

Whispering greys ( 4)

So it's been a big painting block for me.....it's part of being an artist.....and it doesn't happen very often. I know enough to make sure I keep going into the studio and keep doing something in there.....but of course, with it being Christmas, that didn't exactly go to plan.

I left the big canvas paintings in December and have lived wiht them and disliked them since, so been working back into one of them today. Enjoyed it, thankfully and don't mind the image, which is always a plus.

Used a lot of the fluid Golden acrylics, which I loved....need to build up a collection of all the colours I need. I didn't mind the canvas today, maybe I will get used to it after all.

The canvases are 32 inches square. The two photographs are of the same painting, one inside the studio and one outside. Neither today are true to the colours of huge piece....work on the photography of huge work....as an artist, you are only as good as the photograph of your work!

This was the piece , ' before,'


The one below is the photo in the studio. It's too yellow down the left side.





The one below is the photo outside. It it isn't true to the colours....it's too blue.





The weather over the Christmas period has been so mixed for us, misty, foggy one dat, snowy and clear the next....today it's like a fresh clear Spring day !

I used lots of glazes on the work, Golden glazing liquid and also water based varnish . I often rub the glazes into the canvas to get a whisper thin glaze. Now will have to let it dry to see if I need to varnish it. 
This was the second paint over of the day. 32 inches on canvas. They are both very subtle , will see what they are like tomorrow. I like......the subtlety....the colours....always the grey.....the process....working on the canvas.....the prescience of the painting.....

I could think about.....the tones, maybe need some more lights and darks.....a focus.....

Mmm....will see tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment