Sunday 5 November 2017

Urban marks on boxes ( 1 )

So I have massively enjoyed the urban marks on paper but aware that I often don't do anything with my work on paper....I often don't like the work behind glass or have any idea what frames to put the work in.

So, the next step is to try and put the work in a more permanent , more robust form....hence these pieces this week. They are 12 inch square boxes , some have cotton stretched over them, some not.

The aim is to explore , in acrylic, these urban marks with an abstract twist in blacks and umbers. ( I made a lovely colour from mixing paynes grey and burnt umber. ) maybe I will try the 30 day challenge again, a box a day......


Above. Love the....umber ness....the drips...the simple shapes...the squareness....the layers....how could I develop it ? ...try a different format....try bigger...

Above..Trying to avoid brush strokes in acrylic is so much harder than oils....

Above.....it does seem more like a landscape , but for the moment that seems fine...it was a landscape previously but I have made it darker. I did put on some mills and houses but just ended up wiping them out ! 

Above shows the sides of the boxes. Love em with painted sides. 

1 comment:

  1. an exquisite series Tonie, pure magic. The work you put in with the 30 in 30 days is obviously paying off. The beautiful restricted palette, the mysterious hazy layers and runs all combine to evoke your urban theme in a subtly atmospheric way. Absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete