Sunday 12 November 2017

Urban marks on boxes (2)

So this week was the start of a next 30 day challenge. Urban marks on boxes. I was trying to get the urban marks to work in a more robust piece of art....often with the work on paper, I don't do anything with it, I stack it.....I often don't like them in frames and I don't like them behind glass....but yet as a surface in themselves they are often fragile and vulnerable.

It's been completely different working on board or cotton covered board. I needed to make the boxes first of all which is a feat in it's own right. Some , I covered in cotton, others primed in gesso and then acrylic.that massively slows down the Art.....not neccesarily a bad thing. With the paper ones I could create one a day but the boxes are a different matter, slower, more space inbetween each coat of paint.



Above....boxes in various stages. I had the Mdf cut into 12 inch square pieces at B and Q. Lovely man that cut them and I came home and got going.....but when I am making the frame for the back, I use the pieces of board to mark the frame wood....hence I hadn't noticed until I had painted each piece and come to hang it up completed, that each piece is a slightly different size....just an eight of an inch here and an eighth of an inch there....It will mean that I cannot hang the paintings butted up to each


other...I will have to leave a space !




The first 6 on boxes, 12 inches sq. Hung in Hope Gallery, Redbrick Mill, Batley. Love the hanging...I wouldn't have hung them in a vertical grid but I like it..


Urban box! ( working series title, need to look at titling this series  ) no 3 Acrylic on board. 12 inches sq.



Urban box 4 Acrylic.12 inch sq.


Urban box 5 Acrylic 12 inch sq.


Urban box 6 .Acrylic, 12 inch sq.


The first ones hung in the Art room. Maybe they are too close together, they maybe need more space between them. Will work on that.

Love these at the moment. Where I live ( which is my muse) the centre of my town is in the distance, urban, gritty , poor town. I live on the hills, the glorious landscape of woods and hills that surround me. In a way, I am trying to marry the two aspects of my landscape. Big ambition, we will see.

I am aware that I am using the acrylic paint in a way that it's not designe to be used...very thin washes and glazes which dilutes the pigment. So, have ordered some Golden fluid acrylics today, which, they tell me, has the same concentration of pigment in a liquid form. Looking forward to that.







No comments:

Post a Comment