Sunday 17 September 2017

Collages 7,8,9

The collages are slow.....the process is sooo slow....it gives you time to think....but sometimes too much thought blocks an artists flow ! So different than how I normally work, exhausting....but rewarding and exciting too.

Very into monochromatic work at the moment....it's from going back into the ink for the group....it's sent me down a different path....back to greys !

I have been looking particularly at the London paintings of John Virtue. Wonderful work. His large paintings were done with Indian ink, shellac and white acrylic....something to try....there were lots of prints too but not sure what type the prints were...more research required....he also numbered his paintings / pieces of art which I liked the idea of doing. Try it with the collages. He explained that although he might be up to number 735, that didn't neccessarily mean he had 735 paintings because some were destroyed.

This was first one that was finished , but it had lots of work . I had painted it as a landscape but wasn't happy with it the landscape way, turned around it worked for me.....

So, because this area of work is so new, I could easily be over critical and only see what I didn't like about the piece. It's better therefore....at this stage.... to only list what I do like about the piece....

I love the fact that it uses old work to produce new.
I love the monochrome....
I love the umber that warms the black slightly and the ochre the colours the white
I love the fact that the old paintings peep through in parts.
I love the crunchy edges that happen through layering the ripped pieces.
I love the fact that the piece is not square.
It was easier to create them on board with a frame on, the first ones were on Mdf and they warped. Maybe try just on hardboard if I continue with them.
So, this one is collage number 7.
It's hard to get as much of a feeling of depth with acrylics as opposed to oil. Mmm. I think I just need to keep going. 

I like....the ochre passages...the darker marks...the golds left from the collaged painting...the greyness...

I have mixed quite a few grey colours....love the mixing...

You can't see the texture properly on the photo...it's lovely....crunchy...dark...a little unsettling...organic maybe...it feels like a scar....it feels a little Modernist which I didn't want but that can be altered...it may be to do with the geometric shape of the collaged pieces....



So these three are drying out on the Art lounge chimney breast , where I can live with them and look at them....Although they started life as landscapes , they have moved away a little.....all will become clear ...or not as the case might be.....do more !

No comments:

Post a Comment