Saturday 11 February 2017

Quiet landscapes

At different times you need different things from your art. Sometimes you need it to challenge you, sometimes you need it to be comfortable, reflective, give you space, give you no arguament....and maybe I needed to enjoy my art more than anything else this week....I am still looking at , ' Quiet paintings,' what do I mean by that ? Well quiet, not loud, reflective, calm....colours ? Well obviously the greys but I wanted to push the colour a little....have some more colour in them....but still keep them,' quiet,' so that was the little challenge this week.

Must research poetry and classical music about quiet landscapes....( have a Pinterest board collecting images of paintings thAt I feel are ,' quiet.' And I massively think that all the external research eg the music and the poetry helps the paintings and helps the deepening of the subject....

These were the ones I came up with but not overly pleased with them ....but as always maybe you have to paint so many crap paintings before the good stuff comes out !

' Spring came quietly,' acrylic on board 52 cm sq. Layers of transparent washes ( used the paint mixed with varnish ) and opaque mixes. Will have to live with this one....unsure yet...

' An empty quiet,' 52 cm sq, acrylic. There is a feeling of distance and haze in this one. Again , have to   live with it for a while.

' A quiet dark,'.....tried to bring in colour and darker tones....with limited success...maybe needs a little more , ' drama,' in the paint ! 

Massively trying to organise the cataloguing of my work....losing track of the paintings, where they are etc. Often I will think a painting is finished and record it ( usually on my Pinterest boards) then paint over it , so it doesn't exist any more....but I forget to go back into Pinterest to delete it !

Also this week had lots of paintings to put frames on the back for Hope gallery, Redbrick mill Batley, Yorkshire. Caroline Gillatt, the owner of the gallery came to the studio to pick out a new collection of my work for the gallery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment