Saturday 17 December 2016

Grey 5 . Emptyness

For the last two weeks I have been doing a, ' Friday night practice,' painting without any pressure, practicing. I got the idea from another artist...I think it apwas Jeanne Mayers...will research. Anyway, it has massively apprealed to me...I like experimental work, I like to use different mediums and subject matter. I like it best when there is no pressure to create a certain piece.

Still looking at greys...love them ....and love the mists....had a problem with the greys I mixed in so much as when I put white in, the white acrylic made the grey very opaque....that's ok in the main...but not always. Bought some mixing white ( more transparent ) so have used that in this piece....and loved it...also bought this week ...paynes grey, very transparent but very blue...and Davy's grey....very transparent but very green....love it though....

Painted last night over one from last week....and corrected some elements today....these photos were from the garden this morning...loved it !


















This was the painting. ' Emptyness,' 33 inches sq. Acrylic and varnish on board. I had drawn the trees and then put varnish over the crayon to protect it and keep it there. 


At this time of year, I naturally select greys...the winter light affects my choices of colour. If I want to paint using more colour, I use a S.A.D. Light box which seems to help me choose stronger and brighter colours....interesting ( well to me anyway ) .....theses light boxes are used for seasonal depression but I don't suffer with depression, I have just learned over the years through going in the Sun, abroad in Winter that my colours are affected by the light......this year, for the moment, I am happy to stay in greys.....I am really loving them !  When I studied Art at Huddersfield University ( 1999 - 2002 ) we had a tutor Beverley Little who used to constantly encourage us to help identify our own creative process....what makes us paint....when do we do our best work....why do we choose certain subjects to explore.....all in an effort to try and understand our, ' art selves. '

No comments:

Post a Comment