Friday 23 March 2018

Poem lines

So,this week I have been home alone, on retreat in my own home studio. Family all away, just me and the paint. I wanted to create  some larger landscape pieces, 81 cm sq. to continue the series of, ' Poem lines.' ( I called them Poem lines because the words that sprang to mind when I painted them felt like lines of a poem. )

These pieces came about because I felt that the Art lounge was feeling a little serious with all the Urban ones. I wanted a lighter feel , so there was always going to be an element of lightness to them. What am I trying to do with these landscape pieces ? Well , I wanted to capture a little of how I feel in the special places that I have in my landscape. The feelings of peace , profoundness, calm that can sometimes overwhelm. I am so lucky to live here with my hills, woods and weather on my doorstep.

The paintings followed on organically from each other and now, at the end of my week, I have hung the six canvases in the Art lounge ( back room .) They are harmonious as a collection but that works for me, especially since I know they will be off to Hope Gallery, Redbrick Mill, Batley on Sunday....I maybe will have to paint some more !

A landscape element of paint. Acrylic. 81 cm sq.


An atmosphere of colour. Acrylic. 81 cm sq.

A clear day. Acrylic. 81 cm sq.


A distance in paint. Acrylic. 81 cm sq.

Moments of landscape. Acrylic on canvas. 81 cm sq.

An aerial landscape. Acrylic on canvas. 81 cm sq.

Art lounge chimney breast.

Art lounge wall


These paintings were painted on primed canvas. I put down a coat of umber mixed with black first , let it dry and then worked intuitively on top. The brown/ black underpainting does give a weight to generally high key paintings, even though the brown/ black doesn't show through.





No comments:

Post a Comment